Friday, September 13, 2019

Lake Park

I am falling up a slide
At the amusement park the next town over
A toehook to the navel,
An attractive force dragging towards

The slide built by people both not and like me
Who planned it, designed it, paid for it,
I go up wooshing I could stop

To beat the crowds
We would visit on cloudy days
After dinner
To beat the crowds it was easy
I barely worked and found myself in positions of leverage,

At some point I worked there, too,
Attending to games while families who looked nothing like me collected in lines
Spending their money on cheap toys
And I was there smug
I would spend my money on CDs

I am shaking hands with Donny,
At least in my imagination,
And I know I won’t return for another summer
I will never have to do this to survive

I am falling up a slide
A decade later
It’s not too late, is it?
Can I turn myself around
And come back down where you are?


September 13

No comments:

Post a Comment