Sunday, December 9, 2012

Negative Spaces

The sound of our conversation in the car ride
Home where no one speaks, and there is nothing
To break the silence. The music that is
Not on the radio is as loud as it has ever been.

The reproving looks no one is giving me
I wait in the backseat for a decision already made
Patiently is not a way to hug your parents
And I never talk to my siblings that way.

The more people there the more
We felt alone. Younger and older,
The feelings grew and faded away
But always we were returning and returning

To the same place, where we had grown
Together yet learned to hate each other, why love
Love did not work when there was no reason
For it to move beyond “because.”

I stayed in the car but felt closer to my family,
And what a way to avoid their hate. I thought
You can’t hate someone not there but
You can love them all you want.

December 9

No comments:

Post a Comment