Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Butcher Knife

I was a child when I crept downstairs
that night to lift the butcher’s knife and weigh
its possibilities. Despite what I
assumed about potential and ability,
it meant so much within my grateful hands.
The window light illuminated how
the quick and slick wit blade transformed
into a sturdy, balanced confidence.
                                                                                      
Its power never threatened me:
Instead, I was transfixed to see it work,
revealing, as I watched, the world’s insides,
those weary lessons hanging in their place,
the stories stacked on shelves, the dust refused
to settle from their constant references.

And when the child felt the footsteps sound
above, I was embarrassed until I saw
the blade reflecting my maturing face.


December 9

No comments:

Post a Comment