Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Quiet World

I wish it could just be a quiet world
Though not because there’s nothing left to say –

I.

Inside a heated library
The dust will never settle down
For long. The people passing by
Recall a soft, faint memory
And wonder if their friends remain.
The hallways breathe and circulate
Even after the doors have closed.
No doors are closed – not here – for me.

I remember reading you – each page
      I turned with you laid out upon my pillow
      I stuttered and I sped through it as though
I thought the fastest finish time could gauge
How much I’d learned from you, but at this stage
      I would have learned as much had I gone slow,
      As I should have read you, so I would know
You, and not to have desires assuaged.
But now I can remember only notions –
      And left with vague suggestions of your value,
      What is there really to be said of you?
I certainly, at first, gave my devotion
      But frustrated with how I never grew
      I walked away in search of novel views.

I remember every time your fingers
      Gently touched the covers, rubbed my spine
      And studied me, as if a text divine
In your eyes, as they stumbled and lingered
And breathed in every word or thing there
      There was to me: How my paragraphs aligned
      And how my lace and stitching was designed
My body sang for you – would any singer?
But you could never understand beyond
      That which was plainly scribed for you to read
      You could or would not see intricacies
Or give to me the thought deserved, you yawned
      And put me on your floor, then felt no need
      To open though I gave you liberty.

II.

I wish it could become a quiet world
But I feel that we all are too afraid
To risk the sun when guaranteed the shade
Or buy more thoughts when all our debts have paid
Or take the world with us – it’s not too late –
But why force a quiet world on others?

Too often friends we’re thrown away
Or put as if upon a shelf
To be called on at leisure –
But while others can be engrossed
With us we cannot return the interest
And the hours spent, and the flies buzzing at the windows
Could be escaping sounds of lost communions
Never to be fulfilled.

Inside a morning escapade
Where I forget my dreams
I stumble down to my reserve
Of life lessons and start to read:
Life is romance, a passion borne
And bred and read in history
Which shows the comedy in our
Manners, and facing tragedy
What do we do but turn quiet?

An insect buzzes at the glass (my thought)

These aren’t my kind of dreams. Though I’ll admit
When summer’s at its peak I’ll sit and read
On occasion – a midafternoon fit

Can settle down – my impish eyes mislead
And wink – and I abrupt and I awake –
Where is the Comedy in this? Concede

To me: We laugh not ‘cause we wish to slake
A humored thirst, but to untie our knots
And hide our tension, should we start to break.

An insect buzzes at the glasses – I thought.

--
Given time – does every summer cool?

The ancient “star-crossed lovers” has a twist
Forced upon it. Despite impending doom
It sparkles so casually persists

Because our culture thinks not, just assumes.
In some ways I feel such a thing is apt
For loves drawn out by cologne and perfume

Their comprehension of their love is trapped
Like Romeo and Juliet, the fools –
To be star-crossed’s to die – not to be rapt.

Given time, most every summer cools.

--
Here, memory rolls through the boulevards

It matters not what any king carried
Or what exact phrases a pharaoh hacked,
I feel our views of history vary

Though humans never left their common tract
Of feelings and desires and disgusts –
We disregard the sentiments, and facts

We slobber after, little though we trust
The truth of John or Henry or Richard,
And learn nothing from our pedantic thrusts.

Here, memory rolls past the boulevards.

--
To blame or not the gardener for the rot?

Everybody has, I feel, decisions
Whether or not their garden’s to be kept
And they, as Hamlet, can with fore-visions

Remove the weeds that surely now have crept
Within their lives and that sully the ground
That could have nursed any flower – Except

Now herein lies the issue that abounds
Which plants to treat as weeds and which to not?
In such decisions all tragedy’s found.

To blame or not the gardener for the rot.

III.

I wish it still could be a quiet world
Perhaps, the ocean with no sound, but still with spray
A place where one could think and never play

A beach read can be taken anywhere
And lent about to almost anyone
Flapping back to you, little though you care
With sodden pages, bleached beneath the sun
All paperbacks awash with poor persuasion
Could be swept out from shore without concern
You wouldn’t mind to meet them on occasion
To talk briefly perhaps – though not to learn.
But this is not the same for borrowed books
Or ones that teach you secrets of yourself
Their power lies far deeper than with hooks
That could be found lounging on any shelf.
            Quiet accomplices in your travels
            To keep you loved, secure when you unravel.

Have you ever tried to pull apart the binding on a book?
Maybe just to find out what would happen?
To test the limits of how long it could last your company?
I warn you, do not try this with a book you are close to
For you will never have that book the same again.
When dissecting a frog, can it ever be revived?
Does dissecting a joke make it more humorous?
When you start to unravel all your friends
They do not return to you
And then there is no one to put their hand upon your shoulder
And say, “Enough,” when you have lost yourself
In your own thoughts and gone too far.

IV.

A quiet world is now within my reach.

Our man fancied himself a modern Moses,
Or thoroughly Thoreau in each regard.
But in a small backyard,
How much can you explore yourself and be truly engrossed?
Whether a mile from the nearest neighbor,
Or talking to a flaming bush high above camp
To light that bush or light the cabin’s lamp
Someone else must have done the labor.
The doors were open, I was free to pass
But not every option held with it promise.

O Quiet world, I wept for you and I bled for you
And collected thoughts and fragment scraps
And wasted time, or thoughts that lapsed
Away from the material world, and towards you:
Many a pilgrim or a traveler searching for his Mecca
Or his Nirvana, who wants to shake Siddartha’s
Hand finds
            They found exactly what they wished,
            Or tasted their final sweet kiss
            They swam beneath the river bank
            They flew –
                        that nothing is what they want.
And quiet world swallow me,
And me is just a heartbeat, or less
and me is just an excuse
and me is just a taste of my personality
and me is nothing without us to make a distinction
and me – should not be for eternity.

            I only want a quiet world again
            If I am not the only one in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment